Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Watkins Glen State Park




The centerpiece of the 1000-acre park is a 400-foot-deep (120 m) narrow gorge cut through rock by a stream – Glen Creek – that was left hanging when glaciers of the Ice age deepened the Seneca valley, increasing the tributary stream gradient to create rapids and waterfalls wherever there were layers of hard rock. The rocks of the area are sedimentary of Devonian age that are part of a dissected plateau that was uplifted with little faulting or distortion. They consist mostly of soft shales, with some layers of harder sandstone and limestone.
The park features three trails – open mid-May to early November – by which one can climb or descend the gorge. The Southern Rim and Indian Trails run along the wooded rim of the gorge, while the Gorge Trail is closest to the stream and runs over, under and along the park's 19 waterfalls by way of stone bridges and more than 800 stone steps. The trails connect to the Finger Lakes Trail, an 800-mile (1280 km) system of trails throughout New York state.[2]

While my sister was visiting, we went to Watkins Glen State Park.  It was just beautiful.  I have wanted to go for quite sometime.  I finally took the time and went with my son, daughter, her boyfriend, sister, and nephew.  It is in the middle of wine country, also.  Next time I visit I will take time to visit some of those wineries.  I told the hubby that he and I would have to make a weekend of it.  It took us just a little over three hours to get there.

Not much going on at the farm today.  I will be posting more fabulous pictures of the state park.  Hope you have a wonderful day.

2 comments:

tryon1@frontiernet.net said...

It has been one of my wants for a long time too Lisa, but I have waited too long. I'm glad you and Jody were able to go and I am enjoying it through your pictures. It looks somewhat like Ausable chasm.
Love,
Mom

Skylight Contractors Utica said...

Thanks for writing thiss